Presentations Support Materials
Please note the following information in regard to P-10 Languages which has been determined since this presentation was published.
Where possible schools should provide a language(s) program from Pre-primary to Year 10. However, as a minimum:
- the Authority requires schools to provide one Language:
- in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6, commencing with Year 3 in 2018 (Year 4 in 2019,
Year 5 in 2020, Year 6 in 2021)
- in Years 7 and 8, commencing with Year 7 in 2022 (Year 8 in 2023)
- the study of Languages is optional in Years 9 and 10.
For the purposes of Languages education in Western Australia:
- the Authority will provide syllabuses for second language learners in six Languages: Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, French, German and Italian
- the study of an Aboriginal Language is appropriate
- recently arrived migrants, for whom English is not their first language, may substitute English as a Second Language or further studies in English for the study of another language
- students who speak English as a second language or as an additional language or dialect, and whose use of Standard Australian English is restricted, may substitute further studies in English for the study of another language
- the study of Auslan is appropriate
- schools may offer a language other than those for which syllabuses are provided by the Authority using ACARA's curriculum or a language curriculum approved by the Authority.