History Support Materials
History snapshot: Document study
Historical Knowledge and Understanding/The Globalising World/Migration Experiences (1945-present) and Historical Skills/Analysis and use of sources
|Content Description||Relevant aspects of the Achievement Standards|
The impact of changing government policies on Australia’s migration patterns, including abolition of the White Australia Policy, ‘Populate or Perish’ (ACDSEstrong45)
Identify the origin, purpose and context of primary and secondary sources (ACHHS187)
Process and synthesise information from a range of sources for use as evidence in an historical argument (ACHHS188)
Evaluate the reliability and usefulness of primary and secondary sources (ACHHS189)
Students analyse the causes and effects of events and developments and explain their relative importance.
They process, analyse and synthesise information from a range of primary and secondary sources and use it as evidence to answer inquiry questions. Students analyse sources to identify motivations, values and attitudes. When evaluating these sources, they analyse and draw conclusions about their usefulness, taking into account their origin, purpose, and context.
Nature of the assessment
Teacher-generated document study to use as a diagnostic evaluation of document study questions and students’ skills of analysis.
Purpose of the assessment
- the effectiveness of the document study questions
- the students’ knowledge and understanding of changing government policies on Australia’s migration patterns
- the students’ competence in answering document study questions.
Stage in the teaching sequence
At the end of a series of lessons on the impact of changing government policies on Australia’s migration patterns.
Students completed a practice document study under test conditions.
The teacher used in-class peer marking, and then reporting answers back to the class. She led a class discussion of the salient points in the answers.
Using the information
The teacher collected the written answers to:
- analyse the effectiveness of the document study questions with a view to making adjustments to the questions for the following year
- investigate if there were gaps in the students’ knowledge and understanding with a view to refining the teaching/learning program
- investigate where there were gaps in the students’ analytical abilities.