- Online education assessments bring many new opportunities for students and teachers. NAPLAN online will provide better assessment, more precise results and faster turnaround of information.
- A tailored test design will be used involving students answering an initial set of questions, then be directed to subsequent sets of questions, either more challenging or less challenging, based on the accuracy of their responses.
- Tailored testing gives teachers and schools more targeted information about students’ performances.
- The use of a computer-based environment enables a wider range of question types and potentially encourages broader levels of engagement.
- NAPLAN online will mean that the tests better meet the needs of all students, including those with disability.
- Results will be available more rapidly; enabling teachers to identify learning priorities earlier and tailor their teaching more specifically to student needs.
- The extension of the test window to two weeks allowing schools greater flexibility in scheduling the tests to take account of the availability of devices in the school and to maximise test participation (see http://www.nap.edu.au/online-assessment/test-window).
Western Australia’s transition plan
The School Curriculum and Standards Authority, in collaboration with the Department of Education, the Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia and the Catholic Education Western Australia, will facilitate Western Australia’s transition from paper-based to online delivery.
- In 2018, about 277 schools in Western Australia will transition to NAPLAN Online.
- During 2018 all other schools will continue with paper-based NAPLAN.
- In 2019, the majority of Western Australian schools, will be expected to participate in NAPLAN Online. Other than Braille tests, there will be no paper-based tests once states and territories have completed the transition.
Western Australia’s 2018 NAPLAN Online schools have been nominated by each school system and sector based on their technical capacity and willingness to participate.
Telephone: (08) 9442 9442