As an element of dance it encompasses:
- body awareness—this centres on consciousness of the body in space including body shapes, body bases, body parts, body zones, locomotor and non-locomotor movements
- body bases—the body parts that support the rest of the body e.g. when standing the feet are the body base
- body parts—legs, arms, head torso, hands, feet
- body activity—weight transference, travelling, turning, rising, falling
- body shapes—curved, straight, open, closed, symmetrical, asymmetrical
- body zones—body areas of right side, left side (sagittal plane), front, back (frontal or coronal plane), upper half, lower half (traverse plane).