Guiding Principles Mandated Materials
The Guiding Principles for Western Australian Schools promote equity and excellence in Western Australian schools. They ensure that schooling contributes to a cohesive society that respects and appreciates cultural, social and religious diversity and provides learning that meets the educational needs of young Western Australians.
The Guiding Principles comprise:
- Western Australian Values of Schooling
- Student Diversity
- Principles of Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Phases of Schooling
- Kindergarten and Pre-primary Statement.
The Guiding Principles are also informed by the Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians and the Australian Curriculum.
The Guiding Principles also support the statement of commitment from The Commissioner for Children and Young People to all children and young people in WA. The statement outlines nine key rights, including the right to:
- Be safe and feel safe everywhere
- Belong and be me
- Be treated fairly and humanely
- Contribute, make decisions and be listened to
- Education and lifelong learning
- Explore, express and create
- A healthy life
- Play, have fun and be active
- Be loved.