Brightpath Support Materials
The School Curriculum and Standards Authority has a licence for Brightpath with the intention of providing all K–10 schools in Western Australia with access to the support that Brightpath affords to classroom teachers and administrators in the area of assessment, moderation and making judgments about student achievement.
Brightpath is a proven and robust web-based software solution with a range of assessment and reporting features, which:
- delivers robust tasks that provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate their learning of the curriculum described in the Western Australian Curriculum and Assessment Outline
- assists teachers to identify what learning is required to enable students to progress and demonstrate improvement
- assists teachers to plan for individual student learning needs
- assists teachers to validate their grading decisions
- assists teachers to develop a refined and more detailed understanding of the achievement that a student could demonstrate within any one band of a five-point achievement scale, and to be able to describe that achievement
- assists teachers to compare student achievement within a cohort
- assists teachers to compare student achievement across schools and possibly across the state
- provides the School Curriculum and Standards Authority with a method to demonstrate well-constructed and robust assessment items which can serve as models for teachers to develop their own tasks.
The following assessments are currently available for primary schools:
Early childhood oral narrative
Early childhood recount
Information report writing
The School Curriculum and Standards Authority is currently working with Brightpath to develop additional assessment tasks in the areas of Mathematics and Humanities and Social Sciences.
The cost of access to the Brightpath Basic Package for schools wishing to participate in the project will be met by the School Curriculum and Standards Authority. This includes unlimited access to the assessment process for all scales, and access to the following central reports:
- Performance profile
- Teaching points
The Basic Package provides valuable information regarding student performance and their position on the scale in relation to calibrated exemplars and descriptors, plus a profile indicating students on the scale in relation to the teaching points. The information assists teachers in making reliable professional judgements and to plan effectively for individual students in their classes.
The Advance Reports provide information for leadership teams about whole school performance and comparable performance against other schools and are available to Western Australian schools at a reduced cost from Brightpath.
Excellent online workshop materials are available to support leadership teams in up-skilling their staff.
Participation in the Brightpath project requires the following commitments:
- inclusion of all teachers and primary school students in the project
- provision by the school of appropriate support and training for their teachers
- assess all students at least twice during the year
The school selects which assessments are to be used during the year.
Primary school leaders are invited to participate in the project in 2018. Please register your interest by contacting email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of school, address and telephone number
- School code
- Name of principal and email address
- Name of Brightpath contact and email address.
If you require additional information please contact Maureen Lorimer.